Borisova gradina or Knyaz-Borisova gradina translated as Boris’ Garden or Knyaz Boris’ Garden is the oldest and best known park in Sofia. It is certainly well worth a wander, especially to escape from the ubiquitous infernal-combusting engined machines for a short while.
Boris’s Garden was constructed in the late 19th century and it is named after Bulgarian Tsar Boris III. Although Knyaz Boris became Tsar in 1918, there is no evidence of the park’s name ever having officially changed to reflect this fact. Instead the word Knyaz was gradually dropped to become simply Boris’s Garden. After the communist regime took power in 1944, the park was renamed “Freedom Park”, until its fall in 1989, when it reverted to its original name.
Miles of tree-lined avenues were built up along with interesting sculptures placed all over the park. There are many other features, including of course the obligatory Soviet Monument, the Summer Swimming Bath, the University Observatory, the Open-air School, the Ariana Lake, the Yunak and Levski football fields, the tennis club, the diplomatic tennis court, the cycling track and the Yunak Rectifying Station.