The Central Sofia Market Hall is a covered market in the center of Sofia city, on Maria Louise Blvd. also known as Halite or Tsentralni Hali. It was opened back in 1911 and today is an one of the strategic shopping locations in the city.
The style is Neo-Renaissance, and features elements of Neo-Byzantine as well as Neo-Baroque architecture. Interesting features on the facade include the relief of the coat of arms of Sofia above the main entrance and the famous small clock tower with three dials on top of the edifice. The building was originally constructed with 4 entrances, only 3 are used today.
The Centarl Sofia Market Hall used to be managed by the Sofia municipality up till the late 1940s. Rents and the quality of products sold were strictly regulated then. The Market Hall was closed in 1988 for reconstruction, with funding being provided by an Israeli company – The Star of David. Tha is why the fountain in the central part of the ground floor has such shape.
On the ground floor, there are stalls selling foodstuff like bread and pastries, olives, nuts and sweets and rose oil products, souveiers, etc. On the upper level the shops are selling clothing, accessories and jewellery. One level under the ground floor there is a bulgarian fast-food restaurant, offices and some ancient ruins.
There is a parking area infront the Central Market Hall (Tsentralni hali)