Founded in 1973, the National Museum of History in Sofia contains more than 650,000 exhibits and is one of the largest history museums on the Balkans. The aim of the museum is to provide a comprehensive view on Bulgarian history from the prehistory to present, in as broad an European context as possible.
The National Museum of History was established on 5 May 1973 by Decree No. 90 of the Council of Ministers. On 2 March 1984, the new representative exhibition was opened in the building of the Court of Justice on the occasion of the 1300-th anniversary of the Bulgarian state.
In 2000, the NMH shifted to a new location – Home 1 in the former Boyana residence, where on 10, November, 1989 the last communist leader was removed from power.
The National Historical Museum disposes of a cloakroom, a buffet, a museum library and a souvenir shop, also offering professional conservation and restoration of historical monuments, authenticity investigations and expert valuation.
The museum’s director is the historian Dr. Bozhidar Dimitrov.
The National Museum of History in Sofia is one of the largest history museums on the Balkans with 650.000 items and the largest archaeological and historical archive. The Museum’s collections are its greatest treasure. They comprise materials from Prehistoric ages till our days.
- Uniforms and civil clothes and accessories
- Traditional clothes
- Every day textiles
- Church, applied and fine arts
- Documents from the National Revival
- Documents from the period 1887 – 1944
- Documents from the modern history of Bulgaria
- Photos from the National Revival
- Photos from the period between 1878 and 1944
- Every day items
- Periodicals from the period between 1878 and 1944
- Periodicals from the modern history of Bulgaria
- Printed materials
- Manufacture samples
- Fine and applied arts
- Cinema – photo – phono
- Paleolithic, Neolithic, Chalcolithic
- Bronze age
- Early Iron Age
- Late Iron Age
- Roman Age
- Late Antiquity
- Middle Ages 7–9 century
- Middle Ages 10–12 century
- Middle Ages 13–14 century
- Late Middle Ages 15–17 century
- Pectorals and others adornments
- Early printed materials in foreign languages
- Heraldry, sphragistics
National History Museum (Bulgaria) - Price list
* Adult – 10 BGN
* School and University student – 1 BGN
* Adult accompanied by children – 3 lv. and for child of 7 and over – 1 BGN
Museum Membership cards:
For 8 visits within a year – 20.00 BGN
For 4 visits within a year – 10.00 BGN
* Visitors from towns, cities, villages and museums, partners of the NMH, participating with items/loans in the exhibition of the NMH – 50% charge reduction according to a signed agreement.
Combined tickets for 1 month:
NMH – Boyana church – 12 BGN
NMH – Boyana church – Zemen monastery – 14 BGN
The National Museum of History will not allow tours of the exposition made by outside tourist guides when local museum guides are available.
Groups of 10 and more – 8 BGN
Tourist agencies of over 500 visitors per year – 5 BGN
Guided tours of one and half hour duration:
In Bulgarian – 5 BGN
In foreign language – 30 BGN
In Bulgarian with a foreign language interpretation – 10 BGN
* Guided tours booked in advance are a priority.
Free entrance in the Museum:
* On the last Monday of the month - for all visitors
* For disabled people
* Children under school age
National History Museum (Bulgaria) - Notes
Filming and photofraphy in museum is paid:
Taking pictures with a camera – 10 BGN
Filming with a video-camera – 80 BGN
Film showing – 0.30 BGN per person