The Russian Monument is an obelisk: a rectangular pyramid with a truncated top and a three-step pedestal. The eastern side of the memorial features a marble relief of the coat of arms of Russia and the Order of St. George, and a text commemorating Alexander II in pre-reform Russian. The western side features another inscribed plate.
The Russian monument was unveiled on 29 June 1882. It was constructed by using funds collected by the Russian people. And even until now it is not exactly known who designed the monument.
In the late 19th and early 20th century, the monument turned into a center of the urban planning strategy for this part of Sofia. Today, it stands in the middle of an important round junction of the Skobelev and Totleben boulevards.
The Five Corners junction, Mall of Sofia, Macedonia Square, Crystal Business Center and the Pirogov Hospital are located near by.